Latest Post!

Please find the newest post below.
Have a great day.
Don't forget to create, play and scribe!

Thursday 15 May 2014

Notable Notebooks Part 4 of 5 - When a Notebook isn't a Notebook (Brought to you by The Rosetta Stone, and guest appearance by Crystal Skull!)

Dear Scribblers

Welcome to the penultimate day of 'Notable Notebooks' (Four of Five):


A five day series:
1: My Ultimate Quality Favourites 
2: The Organiser
3: My Newest Arrivals
4: When a Notebook isn't a Notebook
5: Used, Loved, Never to be Thrown away

Please read the important note at the bottom of the page. 


The next two are slightly different from the normal notebooks that I've discussed in parts one to three. Please take a look if you haven't read them yet. 


Whenever I go to museums, art galleries, stately homes and such like, I always like to pick a useful souvenir, and as you probably worked out, that's usually a notebook and pen. Last year, we went to the Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibition at the British Museum, which was fantastic. Afterwards, as I perused the many gift kiosks, I was overwhelmed by the pen selection, but there wasn't a single notebook in celebration of the exhibition. I was so disappointed. So I hunted further, I found a few standard books from the 'Paperblanks' company, but I could buy those anywhere. I wanted something connected to the museum. At last, I found this - http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcs38200/?ref=searchzone

The Rosetta Stone plain paper notebook. It has a press-stud fastening on the smooth well-made material-wrapped cover with the stone's script printed all over the front and back. The bonus feature of this book is that once the pages are full, the bound sheets can slip out of the cover and be replaced. I may find a lined pad to use inside, although as you'll see tomorrow, I sometimes enjoy the freedom of a blank page!

Whenever we go to the British Museum, I have to wander the Ancient Egyptian room to soak in the atmosphere and energy, and spend a few minutes in front of a certain display, as I love the history of language and the Rosetta Stone. If you've never heard of it, I urge you to Go-Go-Google it, after you've finished here of, of course! (There's also a must need to go visit the Crystal Skull... but that's another story!)

Side note 1: I wish the British Museum offered more notebooks, for an academic institute, you would think it was a 'no-brainer!' Do they think people no longer write? Good job someone wrote in three languages, otherwise the Rosetta Stone would not exist!

Side note 2: Whatever happened to stickers? Up until a few years back, whenever you went into a museum/gallery (etc) gift shop, you would be able to buy a sticker with the name/logo of the place. Sometimes they would say things like "I've been to ___ insert place name here____" Great for scrapbooking! Nowadays - nothing! I even ask, only to have shop assistant blank faces staring back at me. Does anyone else miss these? Just a meandering thought!

The other book isn't really a book. It's a file of to-do list sheets and post-it notes, which was picked up at a bargain price from the forever-giving TK Maxx. I love the home section, and the handbags, and the skincare, and the...



Off the ramble, back on the topic. I love the quotes and the very crafting on-trend look. It's designed by a US company called Pela Studio for http://www.tricoastaldesign.com/ 

I never realised how incredibly useful this was going to turn out to be. I keep it with me, adding to-dos as I go, crossing stuff off as completed. Then adding the still-to-do sheets to my Filofax. The smallest post-its are used to add notes to my diary section, as needed. To be honest, I've been using this more than my Filofax inserted pages. I almost feel that this, along with my diary, would be enough, but I do need more space for expanding writing ideas. This is where the lined pages in the organiser works, or you could just use a separate notebook for that. As I said, I'm changing my own process as I go along. You've got to keep it easy and quick, otherwise you spend all your time organising rather on the job at hand. At the moment, this book does that for most tasks, and it's lasting ages too. I haven't run out of any section yet. (Disclosure: I took the photo not long after I bought it, and it's had a couple of months use since.)

Please pop along tomorrow to read part five, the last instalment, of 'Notable Notebooks' - Used, Loved, Never to be Thrown away. 

Happy Scribing!

Important Notes

1. Please note that I am not connected to any company mentioned in this post. I do not receive any products, funding or gifting from these businesses. All products shown have been bought by me, or gifts from family or friends. I mention the items because I like them or have my own private opinion about them. It's just little old me talking about ma stuff! ;-)

2. If you would like to see more of anything in this series, I'll even tell you about the Crystal Skull experience, or if you have a story about museum stickers, please write a comment below, or 'like' and leave a comment by my Notable Notebooks Instagram photo, letting me know what you would like me to post photos and write about. 

3. If you like what you read, don't forget to bookmark this site, and please share it with your friends. 

4. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram - @TheCraftyScribe which I update regularly with all things crafty, scribbling, beauty, fashion, the cats, sci-fi, fantasy, and the ephemera of 42*................... *42 = Life, The Universe and Everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog